The FSF represents more than 500,000 individual and affiliate members throughout England and Wales. As an organisation we do our best to fairly reflect fans' opinion and the issue of standing at football (or rather the lack of it, in the top two divisions particularly) comes up more than any other.
Why does the FSF back safe standing?
- Popular support - nine out of ten supporters back the choice to sit or stand (FSF National Survey 2012). Every week thousands stand in seated areas supporting the team they love - they deserve proper safe standing areas.
- Choice - everyone benefits as those who wish to stand can do while those who prefer to sit no longer have to worry about having their view blocked. Clubs should also have the choice to introduce safe standing areas if they see fit.
- Safety – safe standing can be introduced within stringent safety standards laid down in the Government’s Green Guide. The Government does not claim that standing at football is inherently unsafe.
- Flexibility - UEFA regs mean European competitions must be played in all-seater stadiums. Safe standing areas can be easily converted to and from seating so a club competing in Europe can go all-seater with minimum fuss.
- Pricing - in both England and abroad ticket prices for standing areas are typically lower than in seated areas making the stadiums more socially inclusive.
Read more about the FSF's Safe Standing Campaign here.